January 8, 2014

Nunu goes to the Doctor

The Adventures of Nunu and Friends
Chapter 3: Nunu Goes to the Doctor

It's been a while since we've heard about the tales of Nunu and friends.  Nunu has become much more significant in our family.  Rachel will communicate through Nunu and say things like "Nunu doesn't like the dark" or "Nunu is afraid of that noise" when she may not be comfortable voicing her own fears.  Rachel sincerely believes Nunu is a boy in our family and signed all Christmas cards 'Love Mommy, Daddy, Rachel, Ava and Nunu.'

Since our last chapter, Nunu's number of friends has grown significantly.  Rachel refers to her collection of animals as 'the kids'.  There are probably 30 little animals/figures of some kind - farm animals, lego animals, bath toys, toy snowmen.  Every day, Rachel wants to do nothing but go into pretend world with 'the kids'.  The kids will go camping, ride a train, go to bed, picnic, escape to the boat from the flood, escape to a high fort from the fire, etc.  She will do this for hours as long as an adult is there to watch her do it, and will narrate the whole thing nonstop while she creates a scenario.

Interestingly, when playing 'kids go on the train' games, each kid rides on a train car that Rachel calls a 'chuck-a-boosta"... which I think originally started when she was trying to say caboose.

Rachel loves playing these games so much that she breaks down if she has to leave the kids to go to school, doesn't want to have friends over because she doesn't want to share, and doesn't want to go do other cool fun things, like visit the museum, the zoo, the library, the park, etc.  She's become very anti-social.  And while that might suit her, it's been quite tough on MY social life.

Today, she put 'the kids' to sleep by tucking each of them under a blanket, kissing them, and then saying "Good night kids.  I have to take Nunu to the doctor now.  See you later."  After turning out the light, tiptoeing away, and whispering 'bye' again, we found our shoes and coats.  Rachel pretended to put on Nunu's coat/hat/gloves/shoes, and we were finally in the car and off.

In reality, Ava and I had doctors appointments.  I had failed to get a sitter for Rachel so she had to come and wait out the appointments with us.  This meant I packed books, a picnic basket, snacks, water, all the regular things like a wallet, diapers and wipes, and an ipad to keep Rachel quiet during the time with the doctor.  Just finding my insurance card among all the stuff was a mini adventure race.

While we were in the waiting room, Rachel took off Nunu's imaginary coat/hat/gloves/shoes and put them in the stroller, where I was apparently supposed to keep track of them.  She then showed him the fish and told him about each color and name of each fish (like 'Diadobee).

We were called in and went into the adult examination room for my appointment.  We entered the tiny room with Ava in her carseat in the bursting stroller and Rachel unpacked all her toys in what little floor space there was.  I undressed for my physical, eager to get it over with.  

Rachel: "Uh-oh! Mommy, we have to go home!"
M: "Why?"
Rachel: "We forgot the tablecloth for our picnic, Mommy, and Nunu can't just eat picnic food right off the floor.  His chicken steak will get dirty."
M: "Sorry, honey, we're not going home.  Here - use Ava's blanket."

I then proceeded to play picnic on the (dirty?!) floor half-dressed while we waited for the doctor.

I got through my exam without too much drama and then we had to move all our stuff to the baby examination room for Ava's 6 month check up.  Rachel unpacked everything again and played well by herself while I talked to the doctor.

Doctor:  "Hi Rachel.  How are you?"
Rachel: "Good.  This is my friend Nunu.  He used to be white and he is a bear but today I'm pretending that he is a piglet."

Later, Rachel would interrupt my conversation with the doctor by saying things like:
"Excuse me, Mommy, but Nunu won't eat his fish sauce with chocolate pudding."  
and
"Mommy, can you move over a little bit so Nunu can have a seat so I can read him 'Frog and Toad'?"

It was determined that Ava was healthy and developing appropriately.  We got her shots, and off we went.  Nunu 'put on' his winter clothes again and Rachel put him on the edge of the stroller because she wanted to carry the picnic basket to the car.  Nunu pushed the button for the elevator.

We packed up the car and drove a few minutes before Rachel spoke sharply: "Where's Nunu?"

I pulled over, checked the whole car, and found no Nunu.  For one second I thought maybe I should just end the whole affair and drive home, but instead I turned around and went back.  I pulled into the parking spot and there he was: my dirty white son lying on the icy sidewalk, lonely and cold.  I grabbed him, kissed him in spite of myself, and gave him back to Rachel.

Rachel:  "Oh Nunu!  That was a silly hiding spot!"

When we got home, we worked on a current art project, which required a painted hand print from Daddy.  The project now has a hand print of Rachel's, one of Mommy's, one of Daddy's, and one of Nunu's.  When we add Ava's, we will have the whole family done.

No comments:

Post a Comment