May 24, 2011

Jason runs 50km - Sun Mountain Trail Ultra

(Meggan's perspective)
May long weekend is supposed to promise blue skies and warm weather... or so we continue to hope each year.  Saturday morning we packed the car full and headed back down to Winthrop, ready to camp again.  This time it was just our family but we were still staying at our friends' property.  There were rumours of flooding in the area, but when we arrived we were happy to see that all was well and camping would still be possible.

We arrived just after lunch and fed Rachel in the sun.  She didn't mind the dehydrated green beans or the Walmart brand jars of baby food if they were heated up a bit.  Rachel woke up with a runny nose and seemed a little on the grumpy side, but was hanging in there.  I was exhausted and Jason had to work hard to convince me to get up off my butt and head out to the course so I could get in my run.  My marathon training plan included a 22-23km run this weekend, so my plan was to follow the 25km race course and stop a few km early.  I have been pretty good about getting in all my runs so far and I've been quite proud of myself... but things are getting tougher each week.  I was still exhausted and sore Sat from my trail run Wed night!

Rachel waiting for Mommy to reach Thompson Ridge
But, even thought I begged and pleaded not to run (and instead to sleep in the sunshine), Jason dropped me off at the trailhead and off I went as he promised to meet me 8.5 miles later at the top of the climb.  Thankfully, it was a beautiful course and the scenery was the only thing that helped me get through my heavy legs and unwilling lungs.  I hiked most of the trail - a long climb that I was struggling through.  My calves and hamstrings were threatening to cramp as I climbed and climbed.  The temperature dropped as I climbed and I was shocked to see snow patches.  Running by myself started to weigh on me as I didn't have companionship for the first time in all my training.  I started clapping and shouting to avoid any bears and made myself nervous since I hadn't seen anyone else at all in many miles.  I was way slower than I said I would be and I was nervous that Jason wouldn't be able to wait for me at the top.  I was so thankful that he stayed and waited for me because then he and Rachel could be closer car support for the descent.  Sadly, my legs were so heavy that I feared injury on the muddy single track and gave in after 17.5km.  It was the hardest run I think I've done since playing field hockey.

As soon as I finished my run, the skies opened up and let out all the rain.  We hit a pizza place in town for dinner and Rachel had her first solid food meal at a restaurant.  Other campers kept entering the place, searching for hot food and reprieve from the pelting down rain.  We reluctantly left, needing to get to our tent and put Rachel to bed.  She normally goes to sleep at 7pm or so and it was closer to 8pm by the time we put her down.  And then ... we lay there.  Quiet.  Wondering what to do.  It was pouring outside so our choices were to hang out in the car and then come back to the tent and risk waking Rachel up or stay in the tent and be quiet.  So we whispered through a game of Quiddler and then fell asleep before 9pm.

Rachel eating breakfast in a modified camp chair
Rachel woke us up and wouldn't settle down until after midnight, but then slept well again until her latest wake up time of 5:30am.  At home we've been working on letting her soothe herself back to sleep... but right next to her in a tent and with her having a cold - that was more challenging.  She actually spent the second half of the night in her carseat in the tent so that she was propped up a little better and could breathe better through her cold.

Sunday morning the rain stopped.  Jason's 50km race started at 10am so we had time to enjoy breakfast and I hopped in the river for a very quick and refreshing dip.  At the race start we saw other friends we knew, including our friends Sarah and Colleen who were doing the 25km.  After the start, Rachel and I headed out to watch in one car and Sarah's family came with me to find the runners on the trail.  We managed to watch Jason and then Sarah/Colleen at about 5 miles, 9 miles, and 15 miles.  Rachel and I then went to the 25-mile aid station and had a play time/picnic while we waited for the runners.

Jason came in to the aid station at about 4 hours, looking fresh and having a good time.  I couldn't believe it!  I was so sore and put off from how hard I found the first 9 miles of the trail that I was blown away to see him lightly stepping and smiling after a marathon on the trails!  I decided that this was a good thing and I should be happy for him - not mad that he makes it look so easy.  We gave him a kiss and wished him luck on his last climb and went to the finish to watch him come in.


At the finishing chute, Sarah and her family and Rachel and I cheered Jason coming in.  Rachel and I yelled 'Go Daddy!' and Jason picked Rachel up and crossed the finish with her. May 22 would have been Ray's 58th birthday, so Jason was running this race with a somewhat heavy heart, but he says those were happy tears from being cheered on as "Daddy!" It was an exciting and emotional finish... just over 5 hours for 50km on difficult trails.

World's best fan club

The rain opened up again shortly after this, and we packed up and headed home after Jason cooled down a bit.  The drive home seemed long and tiring for all of us.  Rachel wasn't happy about the drive.  We were those parents singing 'Old MacDonald' and 'B-I-N-G-O' (the most annoying song) over and over again, trying to get her home.  She played with every object in the car hoping it would entertain her.  But we made it home and put her to bed and spent the holiday Monday getting organized and cleaned up.

Today is Tuesday.  Rachel still has a runny nose.  Meggan is exhausted, has a cold, and canceled half her patients for the day to try and get healthy again.  Jason is doing really well... and HE's the one who raced!!!

To view the race GPS and see where Jason went, click here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87645131

2 comments:

  1. HAHA! Loved reading your blog. You guys continue to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Meg! Wish I could have been there to do the run with you, we would have kept any bears away with all our gabbing. :)

    ReplyDelete