May 9, 2011

Returning to work

April 4th Meggan (writing this) returned to part time work at the clinic.  This was a difficult decision for us to make.  Our friends and family in Canada, used to many moms being off on EI benefits for a 1 year maternity leave, say 'why so soon?'.  Our USA counterparts say 'Wow! You were so lucky to get 6 months off and only be returning part time!'

The biggest component was that I missed working.  The other huge factor was that my clinic owner was willing to work around Jason's schedule to make something work.  Jason took two afternoons off work to be with Rachel, and our schedule was set.  We each work about half time.

Being back at work is fantastic.  I love being a PT, and I love using my brain and my hands.  I love the social aspect of seeing patient after patient.  The time at work always flies by way faster than I even mean it to... and before I know it, it's time to rush back home again.  At the end of each shift I call home to see how hungry Rachel is and if I have time to do my charting or not!  I really missed work while I was off and I'm already scheming to find my next course or certification to learn more.  I also find that I enjoy my time with Rachel much more when I don't have to do it for so long.  I like the balance.

Of course, this wouldn't work if Jason didn't have the option to work part time around my clinic hours so we can flip childcare... and he loves being home with Rachel.  He's now the one going to the library with her for Song&Rhyme and to BabyTalk at the Health Centre.  I take her to swim lessons.  We split chores around the house.  Any free time either of us gets when we're not working, we are out running, since we're both training for big races this summer.

Here's a typical day:
6am Rachel gets up.  Jason showers and gets ready for work.  Meggan tries and fails to coax Rachel to sleep a little longer.
7-9am Jason works with his morning client while Meggan and Rachel eat breakfast, get dressed and pack for the day
9:15am Meggan leaves for the clinic and works through her patients while Jason and Rachel have a morning walk/nap, change diapers, do laundry, put together lunch, try to get dishes done and the kitchen clean.  Rachel has a bottle and eats lunch.
1:30pm Meggan returns home and feeds Rachel since she screams for it when she sees Mommy, even if she's just eaten.  Meggan is ok with this since her body is ready to feed!  Jason leaves for work.  As he runs out the door, he tells Meggan when she last ate/napped/was changed.
Afternoon - Jason works.  Meggan and Rachel get organized for dinner, change diapers, feed her, do chores, go for a run in the stroller, hope for an afternoon nap for Rachel so Meggan can make dinner.
6pm - Rachel eats dinner, then starts bedtime routine.  Jason has finished one job and is either off to coach or do yoga.
6:45pm - Jason comes home to kiss Rachel good night Meggan puts her down
7:30pm - Jason and Meggan eat dinner, then have time to themselves to clean the house, pump milk for the next day, finish the dishes/laundry, do physio exercises, and might fit in email/a game/book before bed.
Rachel is still waking up 3-4 times a night on average.

Anyway, we like it.  We think this balance of splitting child care, working half time, and each getting time with Rachel is good.  For now, it works.  We might try to keep it going, if we can avoid daycare.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment