January 19, 2012

92 days

Note - I am writing this from Victoria as Rachel and I are there visiting the Hunt side of the family, which Jason remains in Boulder working.

The big news in our MOJO family is the LACK of news from US immigration.  We filed a request for authorization to work and travel while waiting for a Green Card on October 17, 2011.  They are supposed to process these claims within 90 days.  Our immigration lawyer has continued to suggest that all is well, that I would receive it before the end of 2011, or before Jan 17th, 2012 for sure.  He did not seem concerned about this trip until a few days before we left, at which time he tried to get us special permission to leave the USA and return - we were not able to secure this before we left. 

I decided to come on this trip anyway, especially when Immigration recently told my lawyer that this authorization had been approved and its arrival should be 'imminent'.  I knew when I left that there was a possibility that I could get stuck in Canada with family.  I also went ahead with many job applications and some interviews, eager to start working as soon as possible upon my return.

It has now been 92 days since we filed.  I have 4 job interviews lined up for next week.  If Rachel's daycare hadn't just closed, she would have started daycare on Monday full time.  As far as I have been concerned for months, my 'real' life was supposed to resume on Jan 23 after someone hit the pause button on it last summer. 

Still... here we are... no visa.

So tomorrow I will call Aeroplan points and try and change my ticket.  I will not be allowed to re-enter the USA until this paperwork arrives.  Do I rebook my flight for next week?  one more week?  two more weeks?  What plans should I make for my visit here?  What can I possibly tell the clinic directors that I'm supposed to meet with next week that can save my integrity and keep my job options open?

In a new community where I have been struggling to make friends, have a schedule, see my husband very much, find time without Rachel, or do anything for myself... I will now continue to live in a world on 'PAUSE' and hope that someone up there pushed 'PLAY' quickly so that I can move forward.

The positive side to this catastrophe is that I am here in my home town with my family and old friends.  This means that I might be able to visit more, assist my Grandpa, possibly head to Penticton, maybe catch some Women's National Team Soccer, ... who knows?!  I am even likely to play field hockey this weekend (indoors) for the first time since probably 2005 or even earlier.  I'm going to be one very sore gal by Sunday and Monday!  Hopefully some miracle will create the opportunity for me to be very stiff after arriving home in Boulder shortly thereafter, after sitting on the plane holding a happy and tired little girl.

2 comments:

  1. "possibly head to Penticton" Sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep thinking positive MO. The two of you have never done very well at being negative and thats what draws so many people to you. Your an amazing woman and WHEN (not if) you get back to Boulder you'll have a patient... me!! Besides the border between the US and Canada can't be THAT hard to get across! Its not like we are trying real hard to keep you canucks out.

    ReplyDelete