January 22, 2012

Citizenship for Jason

Just when you thought our paperwork situation couldn't get any crazier...Jason is going to Canada on Friday! Unfortunately, not because by doing so I can help Meggan get back to Boulder any sooner, but because my own citizenship paperwork has been completed. In progress since May 2010, my application for Canadian citizenship has been approved, which is very exciting for us all!

In November, I flew up to Kelowna, BC, to take my 20-question citizenship test (which I passed), and was told a ceremony would likely be scheduled in the next few months. Fortunately, next Friday's date, Janaury 27, is a regular school day, and not one in which I am already scheduled for training or a conference with students (which happens a lot in February this year).

I don't know very much about the ceremony itself, since I haven't actually received the letter. Citizenship and Immigration Canada posted the following on my "application status" website: "We sent you a notice on January 18, 2012 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on January 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us."


I have no idea which address they sent the notification to, so we'll see if I actually get the notice in time. I gave them my Boulder address when I was there in November, but the official system hasn't ever reflected this change.

Update: I just searched online at CIC and found that the Kelowna ceremony will be at City Hall in Kelowna, on Friday, Janaury 27, at 12:15pm.  If you are local and you want to come, please do. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment